We are so happy that you have found your way here and are interested in Portugal and, especially, the Azores. We discovered our love for Portugal, a country where the real beauty can be found beyond hotels and destinations advertised in travel guides, in a very similar way back in 2007. For that reason, we would like to take you on a short trip throughout the Azores on this page.
We will attempt to show you some of the places we particularly enjoy, give you some advice to make your trips even nicer, and are happy to support you when planning your journey to the Azores.
Since we bought a house on São Miguel in 2017, which you are more than welcome to rent as a holiday home, we focus mostly on São Miguel.
If you want to jump straight into one of our posts, feel free to take one of these shortcuts. Otherwise we are happy to introduce you to our “Portuguese history” on the next page.
- Ermida de Nossa Senhora da Paz
- Pico da Vara, the highest peak in São Miguel
- Pico da Barrosa – São Miguel is at your feet
- Rota da Tronqueira – through the middle of the jungle
- Parque da Grená – nature and history
- Hike to the Fábricas da Luz
- Circular hike to Lagoa do Fogo
- Hike Around the Pico da Mafra
- Pico Queimado – A short hike with amazing views
- A short trip from Achadinha to the Poço Azul
- Hike to the waterfalls by Ribeira do Faial da Terra
- Nordeste – Trip to the Ribeira do Guilherme
- Furnas and the Pico do Ferro
- Bolo Rei
- Pastés de Nata – A sweet dream
- Tea from Europe
- Canyoning – a perfect day for all adventurers
- The old Mills on São Miguel
- Mata-Jardim José do Canto & Salto do Rosal
- Nordeste and the Farol Ponta do Arnel
- The best viewpoints
- Holidays with Kids on São Miguel
- Sunrises and Sunsets
- How it all started
- The 10th Island – São Miguel’s North East
- Maia – Heart of the 10th Island
- Whaling on the Azores
- The Old Harbour by Feteira Pequena
- Lost Places – Nature Always Wins
- Island of the Many Lakes
- The Best Beaches
- Special Trips – Sailing Around Terceira Island
- The most beautiful waterfalls (and their guardians)
- The motive on the travel guides
- Fish, octopuses, starfish and more
- Whales and Dolphins
We have also gathered some information for planning your holiday on the Azores. We will show you, for example, where you can best enjoy not only nature but also the cuisine of the island, or where you can buy all the necessary small stuff. You can start with the post about our holiday home.